Recently Marcel Pelland, General Manager appeared on the Marc & Mandy Show to talk about deck projects and some of options available to you. Click on the Marc & Mandy link below to view the television segment.
Building a deck can be a rewarding experience and the feeling of pride once completed is a great feel-good moment.
For many, the thought of tackling a deck project is a daunting experience. Relax, it doesn’t have to be. Most people have the basic building skills to be able to tackle a deck project.
Olympic’s supply partner, Griffin Foundation Products, has these short videos to help you with your groundscrew installation.
Click below to watch the groundscrew installation:
You will need the following tools to tackle a deck project:
- 2-4 ft. level
- Tape Measure
- Saws (Circular and/or Mitre Saw)
- Plumb bob
- Chalk line
- Wrenches and Socket Set
- Drill and Drill Bits (Wood and Masonary)
- Post Hole Digger or Auger
You will need to check with your local municipality for local building codes. In Winnipeg you can check out the following links:
- Zoning & Construction Requirements for open non-sheltered wood decks for residential dwellings
- Link to City of Winnipeg Permit Application
One of the key requirements for a permit application is a plan. Within that plan you will detail elements such as:
A site plan – this plan will identify where your deck will be situated taking into consideration your lot size and dimensions as well as where it will be in relation to your house,
- A construction plan – this will detail:
- Overall size of the deck
- Size and spacing of beams, post and deck joists
- Type of Wood you are using
- Type of Foundation
- Height of the Deck and the type of railing to be used
Did you know? Olympic Building Centre can provide you with a plan to accompany your permit application. All you need is a basic sketch and some dimensions and we’ll give you a complete plan to build your deck. Pop in for a visit or give us a call 204.661.8600 we’d be happy to design your dream deck!
While you’re here we’ll help you:
- Decide what materials you’ll need to build your deck. For example, composite vs. wood,
- How you need to build your deck if you are considering things like hot tubs, pergolas or even a future enclosure,
- Once you decide, we can gather and pack up all the materials you need and get it delivered to your site,
- And if you run into a roadblock building your deck…you can still give us a call and we’ll talk you through it
Did you know? Olympic Building Centre has easy payment options for your deck. With competitive interest rates, no administration fees or pre-payment penalties it’s one of the best options in the industry. Ask us about it or check it out here.
Composite decks, they may seem expensive but are they? Many composite deck material manufacturers have products that can last upward of 25 years or more. Your wood deck depending on the elements and maintenance could need replacing within 15 years. Before choosing wood consider the following:
Composite vs. Wood:
- LOW MAINTENANCE No need for staining, or repairs– just periodic cleanings with deck wash
- CARPE DIEM OUTDOOR LIVING No weekends spent maintaining, power washing, sanding or fixing
- CURB APPEAL composite decks return around 66% on investment* and instantly add property value
- PEACE OF MIND Industry leading warranties mean no warping, rotting, splitting, mold or insect damage
- EARTH FRIENDLY Almost entirely green products